Thursday, July 7, 2011

hmm...funny?

So, this morning in our appeals committee meeting, we had a couple of appeals that gave us the giggles. Last semester, a student went through a change in medication which caused a relapse with depression. The only class the student passed last semester: Positive Psychology. The other one that had us laughing was for a student who had "circumstance beyond my control," such as playing video games, staying up too late, not studying for classes, not getting up in time for classes, etc...

Also, I read an article that a friend posted on Facebook about the Oxford Comma, which was cleaver and very funny, but maybe only to us English majors. Here is the link. Enjoy. (Confession: I read it yesterday, but I still found it funny today...does that count?)

And I found a fool proof way of learning to master "who versus whom": ask the same question using "he versus him"! Genius! Why has no one taught me this before? I'll alway know which word to use now. (By the way, I love Grammar Girl. Check out her article on "effect versus affect.")

One more. My friend Stephanie posted an MLIA on her Facebook wall today that made me LQTM: "Today in health class, we discovered that 'Another One Bites the Dust' by Queen has the perfect rhythm for doing CPR. Oh the irony. MLIA" (For those who don't know--like Mom and Dad--MLIA stands for "My Life Is Average," which is a place on the web where people post funny, ironic, moronic, and average things that happen in their lives.)

Basically, this post is dedicated to the nerd in all of us. People like my siblings who find the bump sticker "I'm a fermata, hold me" to be funny.

1 comment:

Christy said...

I love grammar girl too and have read the effect vs affect.
Good stuff