Thursday, August 11, 2011

BOOKS

I don't know if I've made this point before, but I love reading. It's so much fun to get lost in a story and come out on the other side not quite the same as I was when I started.

I recently read The Lord of the Rings again. Everytime I read those books, I get more out of them and learn more about the story and catch new things.

Today I had a little email conversation with Amilia about a handful of different books, and I don't know about her, but it just made me happy. We talked about Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass. We talked about Shannon Hale--or, rather, I gushed about Shannon Hale. We talked about Coraline and The Book Thief. She told me Durfey isn't a fan of reading, but is making an effort and has started with The Chronicles of Narnia. Gosh, I love those books.

Cute story, which I shared with Amilia: yesterday I was riding with the Rasmussen's up to Dallin and Bree's wedding reception--Congrats, cousins!!--and I asked Jacob if he was excited about starting kindergarten. His response: "Yeah. Mostly I'm excited to learn how to read." This made me happy. Also, I had Coraline with me and pulled it out of my bag. Courtney said, "I've read that. It was creepy." So, we talked about the book a little bit. Again, made me happy.

Books are wonderful. Whether you read biographies, cookbooks, fantasy, or self-help, lose yourself in a good book. Give yourself the time to open your mind to new thoughts and ideas. And then talk to people about them! Books are wonderful to read on your own, but they're even better when shared!!

3 comments:

Emi-chi said...

I'm currently reading Lord of the Rings for the first time! :)

Alicia Hawks said...

I LOVED Coraline. It was way creepier than the movie was. Delicious. Also, I've heard really good things about The Book Thief. Michelle raves about it. Maybe I should try and read it before the baby comes! =D

Alicia Hawks said...

p.s. Neil Gaimen is my very favorite. You should read his short stories. They are absolutely fabulous. Fun story: I listened to a collection of his short stories on the way to Utah from California. I literally listened for 8 out of the 10 hours. They were that good. Then, I tweeted him about my adventure, and he tweeted me back!! Best day ever. Too bad I don't have a twitter any longer. *sigh* Also, I love and miss you and I'm glad you're blogging. :)