Thursday, December 2, 2010

I'm not much of a fan of LDS literature. Not that it's bad. I'm sure some of it is really great. My parents read some of it, my friends, my family have read a lot of these books. I'm happy that they like them. Personally, I find them a little preachy, almost as if they're forcing doctrine, trying to disguise it or sugar-coat it, and I find it hard to swallow.

I have had a change of heart.

Well, about one book, anyway. I recently finished reading The Peacegiver by James L. Ferrell. What an amazing book. Ferrell opened my eyes and my heart to aspects of the Atonement that I hadn't thought about before. What he teaches about forgiveness, what it means to truly forgive, what it feels like to let go of sin... it's just incredible.

I've noticed a change in myself since finishing this book. I see people in a different light. I see myself in a different light. Christ has already atoned for all sins. He's taken upon Himself all transgression, all pain, all temptation and suffering. And by denying someone (or myself) true and full forgiveness, it's as if I'm telling Christ that His atonement wasn't enough to make me feel better.

I highly, HIGHLY recommend this book to everyone.

And maybe I should read more LDS literature. If it's like this, I think I could handle it.


Still don't know if I can handle LDS fiction, though...... I'm probably being too prideful. haha

2 comments:

David said...

Wait, I don't get it. You don't like any lds books, or just lds fiction like The Work and the Glory and stuff?

pandaswat.sarah said...

I have a hard time with all of it. I've read a handful of LDS books, fiction and non-fiction ("Believing Christ," "Saddle Shoe Blues," "That's What Friends Are For,"...) and I just don't really like it. I like "Saddle Shoe Blues." It was one Mom and Dad got me for Christmas when I was in middle school. But it wasn't so preachy either. Bleh. It's just hard to read cuz I feel like a lot of it is either really really preachy or just really emotional-jerkers (like, "you're going to feel something riiiiiiiight..... NOW!!!") Just bugs me. But I REALLY liked this one, "The Peacegiver." SO good!