Wednesday, June 9, 2010

I was able to spend Family Night with my sister's family this week. My brother-in-law Travis gave a message about gossip. He compared it to a fire. He asked the kids what would happen if you added wood to a fire. My very smart four-year-old nephew Jacob said, "It would get bigger!" Travis then asked what would happen if you added more wood. Jacob answered, "It would burn our house down." He then went into detail about how the house would fall down and the neighborhood would burn up and maybe even the whole city.

I think he got distracted by the fire.

The metaphor wasn't lost on the older kids. My almost-ten-year-old niece Courtney said that we could be the water and put out the fire by saying nice things about those being gossiped about. She's a smart one, too. Hunter (a notorious twelve-year-old) grunted and groaned, but I'm pretty sure he was listening.

I was listening, too. I need to be better about saying nice things about people instead of being ornery about people. Be the water, not the wood.

1 comment:

Britney said...

I've been thinking about this lately, too. That is such a good way to look at it. However, it is without regret that I must tell you that I refuse to be the water in regards to Nickelback lovers. The criticism can only help them. And if we don't help them, Sarah, WHO WILL?? Certainly not Nickelback.

Also, I miss those kids so much! I can't wait till reunion. (I miss you too, of course. That goes without saying.)