Monday, April 20, 2009

Uh Oh

Last week, when it was especially cold and rainy, I was writing a message to my Lindsle friend. This is what I wrote:

Know what'a funny word? Big. It's small for what it represents. And it sounds funny. Say it outloud. Big. Big. Big. Big big big. BIG. Big big. haha (Have we had this conversation before? Maybe not; maybe it was David.) Have you heard of the concept of repeating the same word over and over again until it sounds strange and loses its meaning? It's kind of a popular pratice in the DADA world. Gertrude Stein does it a lot in her poetry. Love, love, love, love, LOVE, LoVe. Love. Love. lovE. lOvE. love love love love love, love. lOve. Here's a poem for you called Very Valentine:

Very fine is my valentine.
Very fine and very mine.
Very mine is my valentine very mine and very fine.
Very fine is my valentine and mine, very fine very mine and mine is my valentine.


(from: "A Valentine to Sherwood Anderson," 1922 - in A Primer for the Gradual Understanding of Gertrude Stein)

She was a lesbo.

I have no clue where that tangent came from. Sorry it got loaded on you. It was just in my mind so it came oozing out my fingertips.


I'm beginning to remind myself of my father.

No comments: