Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Life.

I'm gonna be 30 soon.

Well, OK. I'm gonna be 30 in two and a half years. But that's soon.

While getting ready for church on Sunday morning, I stopped and just stared at myself in the mirror for a while, looking at the wrinkles that are beginning to appear, the spots that weren't there before, my hair that has changed so much since high school--no longer thick and full like it was, but kinda straggly and dull--and I kept thinking, "I'm almost 30. When did that happen? How did I get this old so fast?"

I despaired.

I'm getting older, and I'm finally graduating from college. Now what? I thought I'd be married by now, and have kids to take care of and a husband to feed. I have no idea what I'm going to do as far as a job or career goes. I have no prospects staring me in the face. No opportunity has presented itself so that the next step becomes an easy one. I have no clue what to do with my life.

After a while, I literally picked myself up off the floor and looked at myself again. I'm only 27. My wrinkles represent all of the smiling I've done so far in life. The spots mean I've spent some time in the sun. And my hair isn't dull or lifeless when I spend a little time doing something with it. I'm not really old. I'm just getting older. I almost have a BA in English. I can find opportunities to use what I've learned and grow in new ways.

I am intelligent, responsible, strong, creative, happy, and beautiful.

I am a daughter of God.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Amen, Sister!

Marie said...

30 is not that old. Especially these days. 30 si the new 20.