Friday, July 18, 2008

Why So Serious?

Wow. No, really.

I know most have already heard the hype, but that's the thing. It's not really over-exaggerated hype. It's well-earned, completely deserved hype. What an amazing, terrifying, and completely psychotic performance by Heath Ledger! The special effects were awesome making the action sequences really, truly breath-taking (in that you're literally holding your breath). The cinematography was extremely well done. I love all of the actors in this movie, (my heart throbs at the sight of Christian Bale and Heath Ledger--outside their costumes, of course--not to mention my love of Michael Caine, Gary Oldman, and Morgan Freeman) so maybe I'm a little biased, but they all performed well. Thank goodness for the switch from Katie Holmes to Maggie Gyllenhaal! SO much better. And I have to big major props to Christian Bale and Heath Ledger and their use of accents. You can usually tell when an Aussy or a Brit is trying to sound American, like Gary Oldman...you can still hear his accent. Oh well. He's forgiven cuz he's awesome. But Ledger and Bale, these guys don't try, they DO sound American.

It starts out scary and just gets freakier as the story goes on. There are some great parallels in the characters: Good? vs Evil? Who's really what? Some twists and turns, surprises, and parts where I actually laughed out loud (from relief and "I knew this was coming") when rescues were made. The inclusion of Harvey Dent/Two Face...brilliant, though at points a little distracting. And the Joker scared the crap out of me. I really did cover my eyes at different points.

What I found most intriguing was that there was no trace of Heath Ledger in his portrayal of the Joker. I mean, you can usually still find the actor behind the character, but Ledger was gone and all you saw and heard was the Joker. He totally stole the show.

OK, enough of my raving. Just go see it. But be prepared: it's truly freaky.

2 comments:

Travis and Celena said...

I want to see it! I am way excited that they decided to redo the whole batman series. I didn't like the old ones but totally falling in love with the new ones. Hopefully the keep Christian in there for all of them. He makes a hot, I mean awesome batman! :0)

pandaswat.sarah said...

Totally hot, um, awesome Batman, for sure.