Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Yep. I'm doing it. My tribute post to the Hunger Games. You don't have to like it, and I'm doing it either way.

I've heard arguments that this story just a rip off of other stories, it's unoriginal, it's teenage dribble, etc. Well, if that's you're opinion, you're entitled to it and I won't judge you (not to your face, anyway). But may I point out that there's no such thing as a completely original idea? I'm just agreeing with your argument. This story isn't completely original because, well, nothing is completely original. Just sayin'.

OK, not that my argument doesn't have it's flaws (which I'm sure smart people will point out, and that's fine), but regardless of how you personally feel about the Hunger Games, I loved it. It got under my skin. I hated the Capitol. I rooted for the oppressed Districts. I cried over the deaths of certain characters and cheered for the deaths of others. Yes, cried and cheered.

And this first movie was a well-done interpretation of the first book. The screenplay stuck close to the story, and while I wish there had been more information about the political stuff, I was pleased with the development of the characters. The casting was good (not perfect, but good), the score was good, the effects were good, everything was good.

So, if you trust my judgement at all, I highly recommend going to see the movie. And then you'll probably want to read the books if you haven't yet. Just ask Marie.

2 comments:

Kimberly Grafton said...

Hahahaha... "tribute" post? Oh man. I don't know if you meant to do that or not, but it was awesome. I have not seen the movie yet, but LOVED the books. I got lost in the world, and cheered and cried just like you did. I kindof hated the Capitol, but I also envied them - wondering what it would be like to live life like that. I want to go home and read the books again now...

pandaswat.sarah said...

Thanks for catching my pun. I did do it on purpose, but I wondered if anyone would notice. :)