Sunday, November 15, 2009

More Musings...

I know I'm not the only person in the world who has ever fallen in love with a fictional character. In fact, I admit to being in love with many, many, many fictional characters. Recently I've fallen for Jackson Brodie. Even though he's old enough to be my father.

I also know I'm not the only person in the world who sings along to "...Baby One More Time." In fact, I admit to singing along to "Bye Bye Bye," "You Got It (the Right Stuff)," "Gangsta's Paradise," "Nookie," and "I Wanna Know What Love Is."

I can't possibly be the only person who tears up during the songs while watching The Sound of Music. For that matter, I defy anyone to watch Fiddler on the Roof and not feel that teary feeling, even if the tears don't actually fall. Man, I watch almost any movie and find something to feel teary about, from Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade to Lars and the Real Girl to Labyrinth and everything in between.

And I know I'm not the only one who watches the four or five hours of NCIS reruns on USA Wednesday nights. Or catches up on Lost on Hulu. Or never misses an episode of Heroes on NBC. Or keeps Law and Order playing as background noise almost any day of the week.

Mostly, I want to know if I'm the only one who feels lonely enough to keep some kind of media playing at all times while at home, unless reading. Otherwise the apartment is full of silence which only serves to remind me that I'm all by myself.

1 comment:

Marie said...

Hmm. Well, you know me. I hate cop shows and my TV has no channels, so I don't ever have the TV on! But I do have a great granny radio that I turn on promptly when I get home, even if I'm only home for five minutes between appointments (meaning: I am constantly going from one place to another and never really have to time to just listen to the radio). I have noticed that I like to fall asleep to music as well. But I am not sure if I do this to get rid of any feelings of lonliness.
I think I have the opposite problem. I have filled my time up with so many things and people that I have no time to be alone. And I am GOING CRAZY because of it. I would love to feel lonely. Is that normal?
My question to you is: are you really lonely? Cause if you are, I should come visit you. Do you want me to? Because I will!
You are beautiful and I love you and there is no reason you should feel lonely because so many people love you. And if keeping on the media helps you cope, well then, keep on the media. But also, turn it off sometimes so that you can let the spirit in. Let Heavenly Father speak with you. And then you will know you're not alone. But you already know that. And here I am, trying (once again) to give you advice on something that I don't really understand. All I can say is: you are INCREDIBLE (say it in Spanish, because is sounds cooler). And I love you.